What are the functions of windscreens?
Windscreens, often called windshields , are transparent or translucent panels mounted at the front ends of the roofs of road vehicles. They generally serve to protect the vehicle occupants from wind and small particles but can also be found serving decorative and other purposes. The main components of a car’s windshield are the glass panel, the M-bar (modular strip) and the windshield wipers blade.
Windscreens are required by law in India for all vehicles on Indian roads. They help prevent injury to pedestrians in case of accidents, as well as protection from insects and small debris. If they shatter or crack while driving on Indian roads, they are required to be repaired or replaced.
Windscreens are one of the necessary car accessories that are made up of laminated glass, which is fabricated by layering two pieces of glass with a plastic interlayer between them and then heating the assembly to bond the layers together into one piece. When struck, the outer layer shatters but remains bonded to the inner layer because of this process.
Types of Windscreens for car:
- Laminated Windscreen: In this type of windscreen, multiple layers of glass with a thin plastic layer between them is used to prevent the shards from scattering in case of breakage.
- Tempered Glass Windscreens: In order to make this windscreen more efficient and stronger, it is subjected to special heat treatment that makes it up to four times stronger.
- Toughened Glass Windscreens: These are mainly used in luxury cars, as they can withstand even a stone chip without spidering or shattering easily. They are more expensive than the laminated and tempered glass wind screens.
- Acrylic Polymer Windscreens: In this windscreen, the glass is just covered by a plastic layer. They are comparatively cheaper than other types of windscreens and also lighter in weight.
- Triplex Glass Windscreens: Triplex glass is made up of three layers of glass with an interlayer which helps prevent the fragments from scattering in case it breaks. It has to be replaced in case it shatters as the plastic interlayer is likely to get damaged.
- Polycarbonate Windscreens: These windscreens are made up of three layers which include a strong layer, a clear layer and an adhesive layer between them. The outer surface of the windshield is tinted to reduce sunlight penetration into the vehicle.
- Acrylic Plastic Windscreens: The windshield of the vehicle is covered by a plastic layer with an outer clear layer to protect it from damage.
What are the functions of windscreens?
Windscreens or windshields are car exterior accessories that provide following functions:
They protect occupants of the vehicle from wind, dust, rain, snow, and small flying objects like insects, pebles, etc. They also prevent the driver or passenger from being thrown out of their seats during sudden breaking or swerving.
The forward surface of the windshield is supported by a series of parallel metal bars called defroster strips along with additional metal bars called “muntins” or “battens”. The rear surface is supported by the window glass.
A clear view of the road is ensured by a thin layer called “Windshield Glass” or the “Windscreen”. It is made of two layers of glass with a layer of vinyl between them. The inner layer has a low iron content while the outer layer is highly ironed in order to eliminate distortion.
Safety in case of accident:
As the windshield forms a hard shell around the passenger compartment of the vehicle, it can absorb impact during very high speeds. If it is hit by an object that has sufficient force, it will break into small pieces preventing them from penetrating into the passenger compartment.
The windshields have a slight upward slant in order to prevent from being blown from the surface. This also helps in reducing wind noise and provides a more comfortable ride for the occupants.:
Windscreens protect against foreign objects, they also deflect air blowing into the interior or towards the face of a co-passenger. They provide structural support, lending rigidity to the structure of the car and form a hard shell around the passenger compartment. They allow safe operation of vehicles at high speeds. Windscreens also help in aerodynamic functions mainly reducing wind noise and providing a more comfortable ride for occupants by deflecting the air.
Can you buy windscreens online?
Yes, you can buy windshields online from a number of dealers. They have a wide range available and also provide free home delivery services. You just need to find the right shop that provides high quality windscreens at economical prices. Carorbis is one of the leading online stores that is dedicated to serve the consumers of India who are looking for interior and exterior car accessories, car care accessories, lubricants, protection accessories etc. for their cars.
At Carorbis, you will get the best deals on all the products along with the latest brands offering premium quality and durable products. Carorbis is serving the consumers located all over the country with the home delivery facilities with fast turnaround time. If you want to replace the windscreen or windshield wipers, then log in to www.carorbis.com and get the home delivery on all the products of your choice.
If you need high-quality auto glass repair services in San Diego, CA, call A Auto Glass Services. We are the best choice for your car window replacement needs!